SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, November 4, 2019

Sister Merrill Teaches You How To "Slam"

November 4, 2019

Привет Family and Friends!

I hope that you all had a fabulous Halloween! Halloween is not a very big deal here in Ukraine. In fact, we celebrated with a family who didn't even know that it was Halloween! We brought over cookies and milk and taught the family how to "slam".  Slamming is the word that missionaries here use to describe the way that we eat special cookies called Kontik here in the Ukraine mission. They are similar to an oreo covered in chocolate. We bite holes in the cookie and then suck the milk through the cookie. Anyways, we were all in tears from laughing so hard by the end of it because the Grandma in the family would not stop putting her whole face in the bowl. Halloween 2019=Sucess:)

I have moved from my sweet, little, city of Cherkasy, and am living in Kiev! There were many bittersweet goodbyes to English class members, friends, district members, Sister Maisey, and ward members. But! I had the opportunity to see Cherkasy branch members and the temple earlier this week. This included seeing Nastia! (My BFF who was baptized in August) It was so special seeing her visit the temple for the first time.  She was full of light and so much love for the gospel and the temple. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to see the Atonement of Jesus Christ work in her life and change her. When we taught her, she had such a strong desire to become closer to Christ and it was incredible seeing her acting upon that desire by visiting the House of the Lord. It was definitely one of the best moments on my mission so far!

In our area, we cover both an English speaking branch (a branch is a smaller congregation), and a Russian/Ukrainian speaking ward (a ward a larger congregation). It has been so fun meeting new people and making new friends. It was also so strange attending a English speaking church service. I kept forgetting that I was in Ukraine!  

Also, one of our friends that we are meeting with came to church with us! (the Russian/Ukrainian speaking service) She loved hearing everyone's testimonies and said that she felt a special spirit. Even though I could not understand all of what was spoken about, I too could feel that "special spirit".

This week, almost every person that we planned to do a lesson with cancelled:( Although we sometimes felt discouraged, it was a good reminder that part of the beauty of our life here on earth is our ability to make decisions for ourselves. We call this free agency! I am grateful for free agency, even though some people use their free agency not to meet with us:) 

I love being a missionary! I love Christ and I know that he is our Savior. 

Love, 
Sister Merrill


1. My new comp and I! She is so cute and just got into the BYU nursing program so YAY!


2. (above)  Two of my favorite things:)
3. View from our apartment


4. Our walk home every evening. The lights are an all year deal!


5. Nastia and I am the temple<3


6. Some Ukrianian cooking lessons!


7. Some members of our district. Thanks for the hand-printed meme, Evan!



Post a Comment