SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, November 4, 2019

Пока Cherkasy!

October 21, 2019

Привет!

Transfer news arrived, and I will be leaving Cherkasy:( I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve the people here. I will miss the incredible brownies on the walk to the church, the wild dogs that roam around, visiting little villages, seeing familiar faces from English Practice around the city, the huge river Dnipro, my favorite Georgian restaurant, our pink church building, Sister Maisey, and of course, the people. I am leaving a little piece of my heart here<3  

I am so grateful for the people I have met, and the relationships that I have made here. The people of Cherkasy welcomed me with open arms and made the start of my mission absolutely fantastic.  I love you Cherkasy! 

Although it has been sad saying goodbye to members of the branch here in Cherkasy, I will be serving in the area with the Kiev Temple! So I might run into them when they make temple trips. I am grateful that many "goodbyes" have just been,"see you laters";)

I will now be serving in Kiev! It is an area called Sofiivska Borschahivka and it covers a large area with two wards, including the international ward. With my new assignment, I will also have the opportunity to work more with the sisters in my zone. I will go on splits (when you change companions for the day), and be able to see other sisters' methods of missionary work. I am so excited! It will be quite the adventure:)

Here are some of the Highlights from my last full week in Cherkasy:

 - WE FOUND A HEDGEHOG! He was just chilling on the side of the road as we were walking home from a lesson. It was a happy day!

- I was talking to a woman about California and she mentioned that she had been to Santa Cruz. I asked her if she saw a banana slug while she was there and I then attempted to explain the tradition that the first time that you see a banana slug, you have to kiss it. Apparently, I used the wrong word for "kiss" and I basically told her that we "make out with banana slugs". She was very confused and I am glad that I was able to clear up my mistake:)

- After complimenting a Babushka's lipstick, she pinned me up against the wall and forced the lipstick into my hands. The grandmas here are both strong, and selfless!

- A woman that we are teaching came to say goodbye to me and gave me jam. She then explained that there is a Ukrainian tradition that when someone's child moves away, they give them jam. My heart was so happy! Then she told me, in her broken English, "I hope you... beautiful horse". Thank you Tanya! Earlier this week, Tanya called us to let us know that there were a lot of people at the park and that we should come and contact there. AND! Whenever we pray with her, she blesses Sister Maisey and I's parents because she knows that it is hard having a child move away. I am convinced that Ukrainians are the most authentic people who just want to see their friends happy and successful. We need more Tanyas in the world!


-One day this week, we were contacting for quite a while and not one single person wanted to talk to us. People were being less than friendly, and I was feeling down because not one person that whole day wanted to hear about the beautiful message that we have a Savior that loves and knows each of us. I was on the brink of tears, when I said a little prayer in my heart and decided to keep attempting to share Christ's message. Seconds later, the next person that I stopped was so excited to hear about the restored gospel and even invited us over to discuss more! I know that God loves us and answers each of our prayers. Tender mercies are so real!

I love being a missionary with my whole heart. I wouldn't trade being here in Ukraine and helping people come unto Christ for the world! 

I love you all! Write me!
Sister Merrill

1. (above) A very happy missionary

2. Service!


3. The cutest family ever


4. See you later Настя!



5. Sister Maisey and I's English class. They are the best! We teach the middle group and this past transfer, our English club has tripled in size!



Post a Comment