SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, November 4, 2019

Fast and Furious: Kiev Drift

October 14, 2019

добрый день!

This past week was fantastic! We started our week in Kiev, because we needed to complete some registration.  We had the opportunity to spend a little bit of P day there and we walked around the city for a bit. We also met with a darling friend of Sister Maisey's for a cup of hot chocolate. We arrived at the restaurant and as we were searching for a seat, a man heard us speaking in English and invited us to sit with him. We sat with him and it turns out that he was from Tennessee and that he came to Ukraine to look for ancient treasures/artifacts.(?) He was the second American that I have met in Ukraine (besides missionaries)! He was really kind and got really excited when I told him that hedgehogs live in here in Ukraine. 




The next day, we had to get to the other side of Kiev for registration and after a chaotic hour of taxi's canceling on us, one finally came and we started what was the scariest hour of my mission. The taxi driver heard us talking with our registration helper and apologizing for being late. I think that he then made it his goal to get us to the registration place on time. I spent the next hour holding my breath as he would say "Excuse me, girls" and then plow over side walks and weave through oncoming traffic to avoid any sort of stand still. We made it safely and at record speed!:) I am grateful for determined-Adidas-tracksuit-wearing taxi drivers.

We saw a woman walking her raccoon, complete with a leash and a tiny backpack! We love Cherkasy!

On Thursday, we visited our friendly fellow babyshka (grandma), Alexandra. She is so cute but suffers from a lot of pain so we help her get groceries and other tasks sometimes. This time, she wanted us to buy her fruit. After we walked to the "Miki Mayc" grocery store, we called her to see how many plums and apples she wanted. She told us that she wanted two plums and three apples and we were really confused because it was so few. When we returned, Alexandra took one look at the little bag of two, ping pong ball sized plumbs and three apples and started to laugh so hard that I was worried she would hurt herself. She kept saying, "I will never forget this for the rest of my life!" (in Russian) and laughing. It turns out that she meant two kilograms and three kilograms of the fruit. Then, we returned to the grocery store and purchased the correct amount. 

Speaking of ping pong, we have intense ping pong matches during our game nights every Saturday. As we were setting up the ping pong table, I turned to the woman next to me, Mela, and asked her if she enjoyed playing. She then motioned to her outfit, which consisted of what you would wear to a gym, and said, "Well yes, I dressed for it". In Cherkasy, Ping pong is not just a sport, it is a lifestyle. 

While contacting (talking with people on the street) the other day, I was approached by a man who was interested in the English cards that I was handing out. After hearing that I was from America, he was so excited and kissed my hand. We definitely meet some characters when contacting!

I love my friends here with my whole heart! On two separate occasions this week, our investigators brought their friends on our lessons! We met with our babyshka friend, Galina, and she invited her granddaughter. Throughout the lesson, she would tell her granddaughter all about her readings and the purpose of the Book of Mormon. I was so touched and it brought tears to my eyes! It was so neat to see how much she loves the Book of Mormon and that she wanted to share it with people that she loves. 
The next day, we met with Lydmela and she brought two of her work friends to our lesson! They asked some really interesting questions and I was grateful for Lydmela who was so proud to tell them all about the restoration of the gospel here on the earth.


For one of my studies, I decided to study why we need the Book of Mormon when we already have the Bible. Then during our companionship study, my companion and I discussed it.  I was so grateful that we were prompted to study that subject because later that day, we visited a woman who hasn't attended church and a while and she asked us, "What do we tell people who say that we don't need the Book of Mormon because we already have the Bible?" My companion and I were shocked and so happy to discuss what we had learned. We were able to read 2 Nephi 6-11 and talk about how the Book of Mormon and the Bible work together and compliment each other. The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and fills the gaps and changes in the Bible. It contains truths that are necessary for us to come unto Christ and live with our Heavenly Father forever! I am so grateful for these experiences, where I can see the Lord's hand directing us as we teach and prepare to teach others. I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I know that they work together and through reading and studying them, we can become closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

I love you all! Write me:)

Love, 
Sister Merrill

1. (ab0ve) The tiniest baby cactus that I have ever seen! One of our friends gave it to me as a gift just in case if I leave Cherkasy for transfers:(

2. The local "miki mayc" grocery store. Fit with plums and all!



3. Ferris Wheel in Kiev!


4. English class:) Sister Maisey and I teach the middle group. It is always a party.


5. Selfie with treats from babyshka friends


6. (above ) Corn Corn Corn

Post a Comment