SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Sister Merrill Update!

 Monday, September 7, 2020

Hi friends!

Long time no letter.. so sorry! I am still thriving here in the Palm Harbor area, along with my Chinese speaking companion and the other sisters working in the ward. I hope that I can update you all as concisely as possible:)

•Our neighbors bought us a cake to thank us for everything that we have done for them which includes that time that we set the fire out because the mom didn't know how to work a fire extinguisher, that time that we had to save the mom because her arm was stuck behind the coach, and that time that we had to help out when they didn't feel a great spirit in their apartment. It is a well deserved cake! Then they proceeded to ask if we could braid their hair. I'll attach a photo below.

•I have been able to get some groceries from my favorite Keiv Deli down the road and befriend the workers there. They really want to practice English with me because apparently they only socialize with people who speak Russian even though they live in America... pretty interesting! Maybe we will have to open a Russian speaking branch here;)

•Evelyn (our 90 year old queen) is getting baptized! We set her date for November just because the conditions with COVID are still kinda crazy but she is so awesome! She wrote an essay about repentance and also told us that she is addicted to the Book of Mormon... What an icon!

•We have been having a tough time finding new people to teach, so we have decided to get cReaTiVe! One morning, we went to a park and drew a bunch of uplifting stuff on the sidewalk with chalk. And wOw the park goers loved it. A whole swarm of older folks gathered around us and fawned over our mediocre art. One of them even offered to draw a Lamb to represent the lamb of God...I will attach a photo of it. It is a masterpiece. 

•We usually spend our language studies outside in different parks so that we can talk to as many people as we can if they happen to come our way. We have been able to chat with some pretty incredible people, including Gena! We met her and her three legged cat, Cougar! (Speaking of cougars... Catch Sister Merrill at BYU this winter!🎉). After chatting with Gena, we were able to get her info and we met at the church that next day. And wow... Gena has had a really tough life. Basically anything hard that could happen to someone has happened to Gena. It was difficult testifying to Gena about how much God loves her when she believes has had a life void of blessings or love from Him. 

I have been thinking a lot about why my life has been so different compared to Gena's. She is also a child of God, but she has had so many different experiences than I have had.
While hearing about Gena's life and hardships, I was reminded of this scripture in 1 Nephi 11:17.

"And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

I know that God loves all of His children. God loves Gena. God loves you! He has sent us here on this earth to learn and grow and we must go through unpleasant things in order to appreciate the pleasant and beautiful things that are to come. We may not understand the reasoning behind what is thrown at us, but God does! He will shape us into who He needs us to become. God will never give us a trial that we cannot overcome and this principle was evident while I listened to Gena and saw exactly what God sees in her. She is so strong and had been lead to the park that evening for a reason. We are excited to learn from Gena and continue to help her see the light that comes from Jesus Christ.

I love you all! Thank you for your support!

Sister Merrill








Post a Comment